Quail – a popular domesticated farm bird, which began to grow dozens of years ago. It is bred to get eggs and meat – both products are delicious, have a high cost and a delicate taste. Most varieties of quail are small enough, require appropriate conditions of detention and good nutrition. Next, you will learn about what cages should be for these birds, how they are made independently. The main materials used to carry out the work and drawings will also be considered.
The health and growth of birds depends on the conditions of detention, so they need to pay special attention.
Choosing the right age
Consider the difference between purchased and home-made cells. Homemade are inexpensive, made from improvised materials and save money. Purchased – a practical option, but they still need to be delivered to the farm. Also, finished models do not always meet the requirements for a specific livestock.
Where to place
The success of quail rearing largely depends on compliance with bird placement requirements. An ideal place to set up cages is the freestanding (not shed) chicken coop. The more comfortable and warmer the birds will be, the higher the chances of building a profitable successful business. The optimal temperature indicators are 20-25 degrees, in the heat and cold the birds feel bad, they become sluggish or restless, they begin to rush worse. Also find out why the chickens are not racing in this article.
Lighting inside the house should not be too harsh.
If the daylight hours in your area of residence are short, you will need to make the backlight up to 18 hours a day.
The norm for the area of quail cages is 18 dm2 per 10 heads if the parent flock is raised, and 15 dm2 per 10 heads if the birds are raised to produce eggs / for slaughter. Read about the benefits of quail eggs here.
Do not exceed the standards, otherwise the individuals will not be comfortable, and the business will be in jeopardy.
Above, we examined all the basic requirements for quail cages. There are also standards of practicality, rigidity, quality indicators of materials and filling structures used for growing birds. To make quail comfortable, be sure to equip the cages with nests, drinking bowls, chicken feeders. All these elements can be done independently or bought ready-made.
We build ourselves
If you are determined to make do-it-yourself quail houses, the following information will be useful to you. All materials are available and are available for sale.
The most common option is a plywood cage for 20 goals. Firstly, this material is inexpensive, easy to use, environmentally friendly. Secondly, a beginner poultryman is the easiest to handle with 20 heads. Read about quail content at home here.
We bring to your attention a standard drawing of a plywood cage. Sizes may vary depending on the preferences of the farmer, the number of populated individuals. Cells should not be too close or vice versa – adhere to the principle of the golden mean.
Be sure to treat the bar with an antiseptic before starting work.
- Make blanks – 4 parts for 60 and 70 cm, 4 racks for 90 cm. Assemble the frame from the blanks.
- Cover the frame with a net, cut niches out of it, form the floor and ceiling spaces. You can fasten the grid with nails, screws, paper clips, the main thing is that it holds well.
- Mount the mesh floor at a slight angle (the eggs should slide freely into the egg collector). The mesh cells should be large enough to allow dropping of droppings.
- Build a mesh egg collector and set it as a continuation of the floor.
- Make a hinged cover, put it in loops on the frame.
- Fasten the bowel pan.
From plastic boxes
Home-made economy version of the cell. Any boxes can be used, including from vegetables, seedlings, fruits. As a result, several trellised drawers are connected into a cage. Read about quail feed in this article.
It is very simple to work with plastic boxes – look at the drawings and you will see for yourself. Please note that the box can be one (simple design) or several (multi-section option). Plastic cells are lightweight, durable and easy to care for.
Assembly instructions for the cell step by step:
- Take 3 drawers (standard) – one large and two smaller. At the top of each, cut off the protruding corners.
- Assemble the frame, install the large box with the bottom in any small one and cover it with the second one from above. Fasten all parts firmly with metal wires.
- Make a roof – at the bottom of the uppermost box you need a cut on three sides of four.
- Install drinking bowls with feeders – in plastic cages they catch on the outside.
This option is suitable for 20 heads of quail. For a larger herd, additional boxes will be required.
The battery is the best option for a small livestock, northern regions (plywood protects well from moisture, drafts and is much warmer than the grid).
A battery cell is assembled as a box or in a wireframe manner. In the first case, the building will not have a skeleton – sheets of plywood are attached at the joints to each other with special details. Be sure to stock up on a set of tools and wooden corners.
The sequence of work:
- Cut out all the details from the plywood sheets – one 7035 cm, two 3520 cm, one 7020 cm. The metal mesh for the walls can be taken more than for the floor. In the side parts, immediately drill holes for ventilation, the installation of lighting fixtures.
- Disinfect all work parts with antiseptics, varnish.
- Assemble the side walls using the corners. Additionally, you can glue sheets in the openings.
- Fasten the front wall and floor.
This, in fact, is all – it remains to make the door, hooks, awnings. The door is best made of mesh.
Skeleton cages are considered the most reliable, but many farmers also like mesh options without skeletons.
Drawings of mesh cages for quail are used the same as for the construction of wooden structures. Grids are needed with different cell sizes, you will also need supports, a welder, wire.
- Cut out two canvases of 7060 cm, two 6045 cm and two 7045 cm from the grid.
- Assemble the base and weld the elements.
- Mount the floor with the egg collector (the floor is installed at a slight angle).
- Reinforce the cage to give it extra rigidity.
- Establish supports with the pallet.
Quail cages have a number of features, depending on the age of the birds.
The quail is kept in brooders – small warm houses that replace them with a hen. Brooders are used in the cultivation of different types of poultry. The walls are made of dense material (most often it is plywood), the ceiling should be trellised. The main conditions for normal cultivation will be quail – heat, a large amount of light, lack of drafts. The temperature from 37 to 25 degrees is gradually understood over the course of a month. For lighting, it is advisable to use infrared lamps for the chicken coop.
Layers need cleanliness, nests and egg collectors.
Think of the design so that the eggs slide into their intended containers on their own.
The quail incubation instinct is different, since it depends on the direction, but nests must be done. The flooring must be solid. When the quail begins to rush, this link will tell.
Broilers include quails older than one month old. The walls of their cells are made mesh or trellised, the floor cells can be quite large, because the birds have grown and will not fall through them.
Broilers do not need a brooder, because their body defenses are so high.
The optimal materials for the manufacture of houses – wood or metal, a frame is needed. If you are preparing birds for slaughter, use low cages in which the quail will move little and it is better to gain mass.
What design is suitable for an apartment
Any design for 10-20 heads is suitable for an apartment – it is inconvenient to install a large cage. Experienced poultry farmers recommend frameless blocks and batteries for apartment growing birds, but you can also make wooden crates, blocks from plastic containers. The main thing is that there should be enough space for the birds, the room is dry and well-lit, nothing makes it difficult to care for young and adult individuals.
Quails can be kept including in the apartment. For these purposes, you can use all types of home-made cells.