The meat and eggs of homemade quail not only have an excellent taste, but are also considered dietary and healthy. However, in order for the bird to regularly produce eggs and its meat to be tasty, quails need to be provided with optimal conditions. Spacious warm cages for a comfortable stay of birds are simply necessary.
In this article we will learn how to make a quail cage with our own hands at home according to the drawings, we will talk about the size of quail cages for 10, 20 and 50 heads.
Home-made designs for 10 quails
How to build a do-it-yourself quail cage for 10 goals? In the manufacture should calculate the dimensions that will be optimal for so many birds. Usually, the size of the quail cage for 10 heads is 30 × 75 cm and 25 × 60 cm for birds, grown for eggs and meat.
Quail cells must meet the following criteria:
- the size of the cells depends on the size of the birds so that they do not fall onto the floor;
- the design should not be damp and mold, because otherwise the birds can get sick;
- the number of quail must correspond to the size.
Below is a diagram of the quail cage, which you can do yourself with your own hands.
1 – frame; 2 – drinking bowl; 3 – door; 4 – feeding trough; 5 – tray for the assembly of eggs; 6 – floor; 7 – reservoir for litter.
You can save space by placing cells on top of each other. Get a kind of quail cell battery. To do this, they must correspond to each other in size and shape. You can fix the bird houses with ordinary wire. Two or three tiers are enough. The first design is installed at a height of at least 10-30 cm above the floor.
For frame you can use wood or reinforcement, and make walls of mesh. It is important to choose a mesh of such a diameter that the birds could not get out. Quail is a fairly small bird, so you can use a netting netting of small diameter.
How to build cells on 20 goals at home
Cages should not hamper the movement of the bird, so you can make the size of the quail cage 20 heads more than standard. For an adult male, an area of about 100 square centimeters will be most comfortable. Respectively, in a cage of 1 m², a herd of 75 animals can easily be accommodated. Everywhere should be provided:
- drinking bowl;
- feeding trough;
- egg collector;
- litter tray.
Ideal material for egg collection, feeders and drinking bowls – durable plastic. Any plastic containers can be easily adapted for bird tanks. The tray for assembling the litter can be made of sheet iron. The life of these materials is higher.
A cage can be made from any material that is at your fingertips: for example, from wood. The cage is similar to a wooden box with dimensions of 30x30x25 cm. However, despite the apparent simplicity of manufacture, such a cage needs additional lighting, ventilation and maintaining the optimal temperature.
Ventilation can be ensured by recesses through which air will enter. Temperature and lighting can be maintained by lamps that are tailored to the needs of birds. Light and heat can also enter through the recesses in the cell walls.
Ready-made cage for 20-30 quails
DIY step-by-step instructions for making a 50-cell quail cell battery
The minimum area of the cage for quails with their own hands is 50 pcs. should be 75 × 150 cm for birds of the parent herd and 60 × 120 cm for breeding meat and egg breeds.
For manufacturing, it is best to use mixed materials., which are always at hand. To keep a large number of birds, you can make cells in several tiers. This approach is justified by the small size of the quail, which can be kept in large numbers in a small area.
The cheapest way to use mixed materials. A piece of wood can be fitted under the frame. appropriate size. For the sidewalls, ceiling and floor, a regular grid is perfect, which is easy to find in the arsenal of any summer resident.
We will take the minimum size (30×30 cm), which can be increased depending on the number of bird heads. To maintain 50 goals, you can always install a multi-tiered cage, which easily accommodates all quails.
You will also be interested to learn about:
And now let’s look at the step-by-step instructions for the quail cage with your own hands.
To do this, you will need:
- 8 wooden bars 30 cm long and 2.5 cm thick;
- mesh with small cells (2×2 meters);
- nails and screws;
- canopies and metal corners.
First we make a frame from wooden beams, onto which then we fix the sidewalls from the net. We make the ceiling and floor, fasten to the box. For ease of assembly, we use metal corners.
How to make quail cages from a grid?
The quail cage grid is one of the most affordable materials that can be used to create cages.
First, the frame is prepared, corresponding to the number of bird heads. Cell sizes can be completely different. The bottom, sidewalls and ceiling are attached to the frame. The frame must be durable, so we take the base of metal or wood. If you opted for a wooden frame, it is recommended to take wooden blocks of 25×50 mm.
For a metal frame, corners 25×25 mm are well suited. The mesh connectors on the sidewalls should be selected so that they fit the heads of birds during feeding. Birds should not fall out through holes in the floor and in the sidewalls, so for the floor we select a mesh of a smaller diameter than for the sides.
- Prepare the corners for the frame. We will need 4 corners of the following sizes: 300 mm and 500 mm, as well as 3 corners of 700 mm each. We connect the corners, then we fasten the bars with screws. We fix the corners of metal with bolts or weld to the frame.
- According to the size of the walls, the dimensions of the sidewalls are calculated. We fix the walls of the mesh with a furniture stapler so that the brackets sit evenly and cannot damage the birds during the operation of the cage. On a metal frame, the mesh can be fixed using wire.
- We make the floor at an angle of about 7-9 degrees. When assembling the floor, we take into account the length of the egg collector (about 10 cm), the end of which is bent by a few centimeters. The eggs will be locked in one position. Between the egg collector and the wall we leave a gap of 3 centimeters where the eggs will be rolled.
- We fasten the door so that you could put your hand into it. The door is also made of mesh and fixed with awnings.
- We make a pallet for assembling litter. It is better to take a piece of sheet iron, which is easy to care for and which will last a long time.
From plastic boxes
To make quail cages from plastic crates is as simple as possible: we do not need to calculate the sizes, we do not need to look for a frame. It is only enough to carry out the finalization and we will have a finished cell. The diameters of the plastic crates are well suited for keeping quails.
We will need:
- two drawers of small height;
- one drawer about 17 cm high.
What to do?
- Cut the corners at the top of the boxes.
- We put a high box on a small one, which will become a pallet for assembling the litter. From above we install the second low box. We look so that the diameters of the boxes coincide. We fix the construction with wire.
- We cut the lid in the upper drawer.
- If necessary, expand the cells of the boxes. The head of the bird should pass into the openings when feeding.
Ready-made quail cage from plastic boxes
From plywood: drawings and sizes
Cells made of plywood can be made both on the basis of the frame, and install the canvas with the walls among themselves, using bars. The sizes directly depend on how many birds are planned to be kept. Before manufacturing, it is imperative to make a drawing of the quail or quail cage, and only then proceed with manufacturing.
What are we doing?
- Cut the side walls 350×200 mm, the end and the ceiling (dimensions of the ceiling and end wall – 700×350 mm). We cut small holes in the sidewalls for ventilation and lighting.
- All preparations are treated with an antiseptic or varnish.
- We fasten the parts to each other with corners and screws.
- Cut the floor (the sizes correspond to the sizes of the ceiling) and we attach it to the cell base with a stapler or nails. We take into account the angle of inclination of 7-10 degrees.
- Install the door on the front of the box.
As you can see, it’s not so difficult to make home-made cages for keeping quails according to the drawings. The main thing is patience and you will succeed.
Plywood quail cage