A self-made cage for Karella can serve as an aviary for budgies and a place for keeping rabbits, chinchillas and other animals. A self-made cage will become the pride of the master owner and decorate the room where he will stand.
When planning to make a house for a parrot, you need to know about his habits. At home, in Australia, Corella flies more than 10 km per day and is constantly on the move. Often picks out food from under the bark, gnaws the seeds of the fruit and the hard shell of nuts. Curious bird, mobile with a strong beak. By the degree of destruction of the wooden walls and gnawing on a weak coating of the wire, it can be compared with rodents. Only a parrot can get a rod at any height. Therefore, all materials must be durable and environmentally friendly.
Parrot cage should be made of high quality materials
The sharp ends and corners will spoil the feathers on the tail and wings. Therefore, everything must be cleaned and polished, or wrap with a sharp edge out.
When designing a cage, one must take into account that a curious and studious bird will unscrew any nut. Weight fasteners should be outside.
Cell Content and Dimensions
There is much debate about the size. The minimum rule must be observed.
- The parrot should freely spread its wings without touching the walls. This is a minimum of 40 cm.
- In height, the bird should be able to hang upside down, without clinging to the ceiling with its tail and sitting on the perch, not to crush feathers on the floor. The length from the beak to the tail is 30 – 40 cm. This means that the cage height for the Corellus parrot is at least 60 cm.
- The lengths on the sides should be placed feeders and other devices. This is a plus to a minimum width of 10 cm.
As a result, the cage for Carell parrots has a minimum size of 40x50x60 cm. This is for those who do not like the bird and just want to keep it in its normal form. To all dimensions it is necessary to add an allowance for the free movement of the parrot, to take into account its mobility and the need to flutter. Taking into account the love for a feathered pet, experts offer minimum cage sizes of 50x60x80 cm for one and 80x80x150 cm for a couple. For a good pet condition, all sizes can be made larger, but no less.
The bird should eat, play and feel "at home." Therefore, the cage for Corella parrots should be equipped with everything necessary:
- feeding trough;
- drinking bowl;
- bath for bathing.
The cage should have everything the pet needs
If there are a couple of adult parrots in the aviary, then there is also a nest for hatching. There may be several crossbars. Additionally, you can fix the branch from the fruit tree inside, on which Corella loves to travel and gnaw at the bark. In addition to standard rockers, hang colorful toys and a mirror.
Do-it-yourself cage for Corella should have horizontal bars of walls. The parrot likes to climb them up and down.
Easy-to-clean trellised floor not suitable for birds. She used to walk on the ground. Her legs are not suitable for thin rods. She can break fingers.
The crossbars for parrots must be wooden
The crossbars must be wooden. The size is 15-17 mm in diameter so that Corella can freely clasp her paw. The lower pole at a height of at least 25 cm from the floor, the upper 20 cm from the ceiling.
The simplest cage is made without claims to decorativeness, from a metal mesh with a cell 20×20 or 30×30. The frame is assembled from wooden planks and glued at the corners by the thorn-groove method. For durability, spacers are placed. Then, according to the size of the sides, a grid is cut out and, from the outside, the brackets of the construction stapler are attached to wooden battens.
A cross member is installed in the front wall and a frame is made with bolted canopies for the door. One lower bar does not reach 2 – 3 cm to the base of the structure – the floor. A metal sheet sprinkled with sawdust is inserted into it. It allows you to remove garbage and waste products of birds, without disturbing them. The feeder and drinking bowl are hooked onto the sides through a large door.
Such a cage cannot be called beautiful and comfortable for birds. It looks more like a chicken transport. Its advantage is quick and easy to manufacture, if the bird appeared in the house unexpectedly and there is no time to clean up the spots after its flights around the apartment. In such a house, Corella will wait until a spacious and beautiful cage is bought or made.
Temporary cage can be made of metal mesh
Corella needs time to get used to the new aviary. The adaptation period will pass faster if the new cage is replaced by the old one and all the swings and toys are transferred to it.
To make a spacious aviary for parrots you will need materials:
- wooden plank 10×20 mm;
- plastic corner 10×19 mm;
- furniture nails;
- 10mm screws;
- metal corners;
- metal mesh with mesh up to 20 mm;
- a pen;
- thick plywood;
A cage for Corella is made from pine planks with their own hands. To prevent the bird from pecking the tree, everything inside is covered with plastic.
- Cut from thick plywood with plastic glued on it, or a laminated board, the bottom of the cage.
- Fasten the frame of the future aviary from the pine plank with screws. Fix corners for stiffness with metal corners.
- Ahead, make an additional partition for attaching the door. Optimum 2/3 of the height. And 2 racks – side slats of the opening. The door should be big.
- Attach the bottom to the board.
- Sheathe the entire tree inside with a plastic corner. You can fasten it with self-tapping screws, tightening it tighter.
- Secure the awnings and replace the door. This is more convenient to do when the mesh is not yet stretched.
- Alternately nail the net to the frame with furniture nails.
- For strength, install a perch, it’s a jumper.
If you want to set up the pallet, from the side or front wall the bar is raised by 5 mm and a sheet of metal or plastic is inserted.
Such a cage will be convenient for living parrots
A cage with Corella looks good on the wall. Depending on the size chosen, the bird may flutter. A drinking bowl and a feeder with food for a parrot are hung on the walls through the door. It is made large in order to reach out to any corner with your hand. If there is no drawer, through the door located at the bottom you can remove debris and mop the floor.
The back wall can be made solid, from plywood. Anyway, the cage with Corella should stand near the wall, because the parrot is afraid of drafts.
Spacious mesh enclosure for a parrot
Spacious and comfortable enclosure made of mesh and an old door or a large piece of chipboard. Looks great, spacious for a feathered friend. In the manufacture of mesh was used with a mesh of 25×50 wire f 2mm.
- The grid is cut with a grinder with an allowance on the sides of 2 cm. The size is made on bars. The free ends of 10 mm remain for further fastening.
- Starting from above, the meshes are connected into a box. The free ends are twisted around the bar of the mating part.
- Put the assembled cage on the door and mark it under the holes on the wire of the grate. According to the ruler, the marking may not coincide, since the grid is not perfectly smooth.
- Drill a hole with a Ф2 mm drill. Put the top on the base by inserting the ends of the wire into the holes. For strength, you can drip into each glue.
- From plywood, make the box 6 mm smaller than the internal size of the aviary. he will be pulled out for cleaning.
- From the side below, make the door the entire width. Do not drill holes, but cut off the floor along the entire width along the transverse wire mesh. Wrap loose ends around cross member instead of awnings. The door will open over the entire width, rising up to clean and install feeders, drinking bowls and a bath of water.
- You can make a similar hatch in the ceiling to get a bird and hang toys for it. A door made of wire slightly larger than the hole is wrapped with one end with its free ends around the wire on the ceiling grid. Opens up and lays on the roof. With this design, an aerial view of the aviary is maintained.
The cell looks weightless, but in fact strong due to double fixation with free ends around the perimeter. Correla feels great about her. Suspended on a wall on furniture brackets, it does not limit the view of the bird and looks great as a decor
Welded wire construction – apartment decoration and furniture
A large enclosure with a bedside table for feed, toys, brushes and other equipment necessary for caring for a parrot can be done by men with golden hands who are skilled in welding. The cage itself is made of a profile pipe and sidewalls welded with their stainless wire. The lower part is a bedside table with a shelf inside for storing things. The whole structure is heavy, so it is mounted on wheels from a computer chair for mobility.
Approximate work procedure.
- From the profile pipe, the frame is cut for the entire structure. Places are made under the bottom of the cage and the installation of the side walls in the lower part.
- Grooves under a wire are cut out in a tree. It is laid perpendicularly, pressed by the load from the leash during welding. The ends of the wire are left along the length so that the excess heat has time to come out and the bar does not burn out.
- All intersections of the rods are welded by resistance welding. A blank is made for the door.
- The free ends are inserted into the pipe. Holes are drilled over the outsole. Cutouts and doors are made on the sides under the feeders, so that each can be opened out and replaced, add sepia or add water. In the front wall, a frame is made of a profiled pipe under the door.
- Everything is disassembled, laid out on paper and painted with spray paint with hammer paint.
- After a few days, the design is assembled.
- A plywood pallet in the form of a box with low sides is made of tin and closed with paper on top.
- To make the garbage fly less, around the perimeter of the cage, at the bottom level a visor is made, directed upwards. From the sheets of plywood or chipboard, the bottom and walls of the nightstand, door are cut.
You can give a decorative look to the cage by lining it with a self-adhesive film. Put on wheels, it can travel with the bird through the rooms.
There are many cell options. The main thing is to have a desire to create comfortable living conditions for Corella, create your own unique drawing and make a unique and convenient aviary.