Conditions of detention are one of the key factors that influence the singing of canaries. If the cage is uncomfortable for birds or is in the wrong place, feathered wards will soon delight you with their trills. Therefore, it is important to foresee all the nuances. What to look for when choosing a bird monastery, how to build it yourself, what materials to give preference to, where to place it — we will tell about all this later in the article.
Despite the miniature canaries, their home should be spacious. Therefore, the first thing to decide on the size. They depend on the purpose of the cell.
Canary farmers conditionally divide the bird’s house into cages and aviaries. The first group includes all small structures that are designed for a single bird keeping. No more than 4 residents are allowed in them.
And the second group consists of dimensional structures covered with metal mesh, designed for breeding indoor birds. In them, the conditions of detention are as close as possible to natural, which contributes to the excellent health of the wards.
Some breeders of songbirds use migratory cages used to keep small groups, mainly young animals. Since in such rooms the length is always 4-5 times greater than the width, they are used for heavy traffic of "residents".
The transportation cage is very small. It is not intended for the constant keeping of birds and is used only if it is necessary to transport them.
In apartment conditions, experienced canary farmers advise single adults and young juniors to be kept in small cells.
The optimal length should be in the range of 40-45 centimeters, and the width and height – about 25 -30 centimeters. If your plans include breeding birds, then you will need a large structure with the appropriate dimensions of 70 x 25 x 30 (L, W, H) cm.
As experience shows, a single kenar feels discomfort when its abode is smaller than 32 x 16 x 24. And for a couple, the ratio of length, width and height is considered to be an acceptable minimum: 50 x 25 x 30. In this case, age and gender characteristics should be taken into account feathered.
For example, females in the non-breeding period prefer a spacious cage up to 1 meter long. The same preferences for young pets.
Video: how to care for canaries at home
Today, the market offers a wide range of various designs for keeping captive birds. But many lovers of harmonious trills, not being guided by the requirements of feathered pets, choose a home for them, based on aesthetic considerations.
Thus, spherical, curved, pyramidal or cubic cells appear completely unacceptable to birds in the house. In conditions where there are no corners, the canary feels a constant danger, which causes stress. Let’s take a closer look at what types of cells there are and what you can buy and what cannot.
The generally accepted guarantee of impartiality of judges at bird singing competitions is the anonymity of birds. Based on this, the standard of the competition cage for auditions was approved. The unification concerned not only the size and shape of the structures, but even their material, color and internal fullness.
The standard of competition cells provides for strict observance of the length – 22 cm, width – 15 cm and height – 20 cm.
All of them should be made of wood and stainless wire with a diameter of one and a half centimeters. It is important that the distance between the rods corresponds to 15 cm. Natural wood is not painted, but only covered with colorless varnish.
Inside the structure there should be only 1 pole, as well as an internal floor feeding trough and a standard external drinking bowl made of white plastic. The doors to the room are located exclusively on the front side.
If there will be the smallest deviations from the uniform form on the cage or any inscriptions, stickers, drawings, protrusions that distinguish the participant from others, the contest organizers will not allow your bird to listen.
Round and rectangular
Ornithologists have noticed that enslaved cenars in irregularly shaped cells often get sick.
This is due to the psycho-emotional mood of the bird and its behavior.
For example, in round structures, birds often lift their heads and turn it in search of a threatening object, constantly jumping, falling from the perch.
Over time, nervousness develops from these habits. It will not work, even if you change the environment and change the shape of the cell.
Understand that the ward is uncomfortable, uncomplicated by his behavior. When he stumbles into a corner, stops singing and is anxious, you did something wrong.
Experts strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the preferences of your singing favorites in advance and focus exclusively on the convenience of its tenant when choosing a cage.
Here is a list of forms to avoid when keeping birds of any kind:
- cylindrical (especially if it is a short or long structure, the diameter of which is less than 2 meters);
- strongly curved.
The best option for keeping feathered households is the rectangular shape of their home. There they will feel safe and calm. For comfort, canaries do not need architectural excesses and spherical domes.
At the same time, do not think that choosing the first rectangular cage that comes across, you will solve the problem with the comfort of your pet. Important internal details, material and many other nuances, which you will learn about later.
Modern manufacturers for the manufacture of bird cages use wood, plastic and metal. All these materials, according to experts, are quite suitable for captive birds. However, each of them is characterized by a certain set of positive and negative qualities.
All-wooden structures are profitable, because:
- during movements (in particular, jumping) the bird is silent;
- injury risks are excluded;
- Natural material is non-toxic and attractive in appearance.
The disadvantages of such a home are:
- bloodsucking parasites living in crevices;
- the impossibility of disinfection;
- high price.
Made of wood and metal
Similar combinations are preferred for professional growers. Products are a wooden bottom and metal grilles. Most often, the rods are made of steel, duralumin or aluminum.
Among the advantages of such cells, we note:
- simplicity in cleaning;
The disadvantages are considered such indicators:
- low wear resistance of the bottom (dampness, loss of color and aesthetics);
- the difficulty of disinfecting a tree;
- toxicity of some alloys (we are talking about copper and galvanized gratings).
The best option for wood-metal structures for canaries is stainless steel with chrome or nickel plating.
Plastic and metal
The tandem of plastic and metal is most often chosen by beginners. And it is right.
The advantages of such a cell are:
- ease of care, including cleaning, washing, disinfection;
- high wear resistance.
Among the minuses, experienced canary farmers call:
- poor sound insulation;
- too big price segment (you can find both cheap and very expensive product).
From the vine
Wicker products, according to ornithologists, are not entirely suitable for keeping birds.
Many adore them for environmental friendliness and appearance. But experts say that this design is more of a decorative element for a photo shoot, and not for the life of a bird.
The disadvantages of the vine cells are:
- prevailing irregular shapes and domed roofs;
- the impossibility of processing with steam, boiling water and chemical solutions from parasitic insects;
- fragility and poor wear resistance.
Some craftsmen, in order to save money, make vintage designs from newsprint. Such weaving is unacceptable for canaries. Firstly, a cylindrical or spherical shape of the product. Secondly, printing inks are very harmful even to humans.
How to make it yourself
If you love and know how to make, then why not make a cloister for a singing pet yourself? Moreover, even a schoolchild can do this task.
First we need:
- 2 wooden slats 6 cm high;
- 1 wooden lath 5 cm high;
- 1 wooden lath 6 cm high;
- 8 thin slats of wood;
- 6 thin wooden slats;
- 2 thin wooden slats 10 cm long;
- steel wire;
- self-tapping screws;
- plywood sheet;
- saw or jigsaw;
- pencil and tape measure for marking;
- door hook.
When all these items appear in your arsenal, you can get down to business. Here is a step-by-step instruction on how to do it competently:
- First, using a jigsaw, make wooden billets from prepared beams. You need 2 parts 20 cm long and 2 40 cm long.
- Then, with the participation of a screwdriver and screws, connect a rectangular frame from them. This is the basis of our design.
- Now use a jigsaw to cut out the corresponding figure from the plywood with sides of 40 and 20 centimeters.
- Attach the plywood rectangle to the frame made. This must be done so that between the wooden block, whose height is 5 cm, there remains a gap of 1 centimeter. We will insert a cardboard pallet there.
- Next, go to the frame of the structure. It is made of 3 frames, which are connected using a screwdriver and self-tapping screws (for each frame you need to use thin rails of 2 lengths of 20 cm and 2 lengths of 40 cm). Do not forget to pre-sand all preforms with sandpaper.
- When the frame is ready, put a pencil on all frames of the mark where you plan to make holes for the wire. Please note that the distance between them should not exceed 1.5 cm and be less than 1 cm. Otherwise, the Kenars will not be able to jump and flutter.
- According to your marking, drill through holes in the framework (their diameter should correspond to the size of the wire – 2.5 mm). And in the main frame, which will serve as the bottom of the cage, make through holes.
- Count the entire hole and cut as many pieces of wire. All of them should clearly correspond to a length of 27 cm.
- Assemble your design by pushing the wire into the holes. As a result, you should get a rectangle 25 cm high.
- Do not forget about the door. For them, a small clearance of 10 cm long is sufficient. This part of the cell must be made separately from 10-cm thin rails and similar pieces of wire. Proceed in the same way as when assembling the cage. Only the holes must not be made through, with the exception of the last 2 from the bottom and top. They will serve as canopies for the door. Attach a hook to the door. Done. Now you can proceed to the internal arrangement.