A wire cage can also be used as a pot for indoor flowers or just as a decorative element for decorating the interior. A decorative cage will look especially good in a vintage or classic interior. I invite you to view three workshops on handmade from wire, creating cells, as well as some beautiful ideas for finished cells, for your inspiration. Enjoy watching!
From the wire. Decorative cages
Decorative cages for birds
Decorative birdcage – handmade souvenir made of wire.
For work, you need the following materials:
Galvanized wire (the master used 16 gauges)
Ruler (mat for cutting and measuring)
Aerosol (primer or paint)
Paper or cardboard for the bottom
Create rings for the cage. The cage itself is small, but I think if you take the wire thicker and larger than a cup, the cage can be made even larger.
We should be able to:
3 main parts of the structure (arched)
– form a hanger for birds.
We bend here in this way at the top of the loop. The ends are rounded.
We collect our cage.
We solder the parts together.
After soldering, we clean the cage with a towel. And we cover our cage with spray paint.
After that we add a bottom for our cage. Cut out a circle of cardboard of the right size. Then we tie the ribbon and attach the hanger for the bird.
Souvenir decorative birdcage made of wire .
For work, we need:
- Drawing of a cage in two projections and a sketch of a decorative motif.
- Wire. The main (I used aluminum, 2.0 mm) and auxiliary (I have a 0.9 mm nichrome). With a cage height of 19cm, it took 10m of aluminum wire.
- Plywood 0.4cm.
- Thin-nose pliers.
Draw a cell in two projections. Find out the circumference of the base
Divide the circumference by 4 and get the length of the motif of the decorative insert. We draw the dimensions of the motive and draw a pattern in it, taking into account the pitch of the knitting needles and, given that the motive will be repeated, and it is necessary to provide for the fastening of the motives among themselves.
We bend two circles from the main wire – this will be the bottom and top of the decorative insert. We tightly clamp the ends together.
According to the sketch, we bend the pattern elements from the wire. When the motive is completely ready, we fasten the elements together with the auxiliary wire.
We bend the motive around the circumference of the base. One of the four parts is ready.
We bend the second part and likewise make it arcuate. Here I was already unbearable and would rather attach the motive to the circles.
We finish 2 more motives and fasten to the bases of the decorative insert.
We bend a small circle for attaching the upper part of the spokes of the cell. First we fix the four main ones.
Similarly, we fix the remaining knitting needles of the dome.
We proceed to the manufacture of the base. On plywood, draw a circle whose radius R is equal to the radius of our circles from wire. On this circle we mark the centers of the holes, dividing it into the required number (I have – 24) of equal parts. The radius of the base itself is R5 mm. We drill holes for the needles, we select the drill so that the spoke enters the plywood with effort
The dome of the cage is ready, the wooden base is also ready, it’s time to connect them. We measure the needles with a margin according to the sketch. We bend the hook and fasten it to the lower base of the decorative element, we direct the end of the spoke into the hole in the base.
It is more convenient to fix the main knitting needles, and then add the next. Having measured the required distance to the base, bite the needle from the bottom with nippers and bend it.
Leave the span in 2 links – the door. The door should be curved. We make a loop for fastening at one end of the workpiece and bend the workpiece around the circumference.
The blank goes into a curl – an element of decor. We make two mirror parts.
We interconnect the loops with a knitting needle. The hinges of the door itself to the right.
Add the missing links of the knitting needles in the door and bend the base of the doorway.
To the base of the doorway, add two knitting needles from below, taking into account the size of the door itself. We also thread these knitting needles into a wooden base and bend. We fix the door. Everything, the cell is ready!
Vintage birdcages. Ideas for inspiration.
Decorative details look profitable and accented in any interior. And you do not have to buy decor from designers at crazy prices. You can do it yourself, and this applies to everything – from lamps and vases, to birdcages.
By the way, how important are bird cages in modern interior solutions?
Such a romantic detail of the home will always be relevant, especially if it is made in the style of Provence, Empire style, Baroque or romanticism. A simple floor cage can bring even more comfort, airiness and romance to your home, especially if you approach it manufacture with feeling and sense.
The Provence decorative cages are especially noteworthy. They are usually made of white or pastel materials, decorated with flowers, feathers and other interesting elements.
Such a product can be placed in the kitchen, in the bedroom or living room – it will look harmonious and beneficial in almost any corner of your home. The idea of breeding birds has existed since ancient times.
Of course, ordinary people made houses for their birds from rods and other cheap materials.
For the nobility, such objects were made of precious metals and stones, and sometimes became real masterpieces. And although few today want to acquire birds, the installation of a decorative cage in the interior can recreate the noble atmosphere of those times when luxury was especially fashionable. You can put flowers, stones and other decorations in it if you do not have a feathered pet.
So, how to make a decorative cage with your own hands, and what materials may be needed for this?
We adhere to the general harmony and choose the style
Despite the fact that the cell seems to be a fairly simple element of decor, it does not fit into any interior design. Agree, it’s quite difficult to imagine the harmonious presence of this item in an apartment made in the style of “loft” or “hi-tech”. And if you can still argue about the first one, then the second design, which involves the use of a large amount of metal and smooth minimalistic surfaces, is unlikely to "sustain" the cage in itself.
If we talk about modern varieties of vintage styles, the cell will look best in the Provence or Country interiors. Moreover, in the case of such a design, you just need to find the cell in the grandmother’s attic, and not decorate it in any way.
Let it stay a little shabby and glued – it will only bring a certain spirit to your home environment. For "Gothic", "romanticism" or "classicism" it is better to find or perform something more refined. The cage should be openwork, lace, decorated with stones or forging – in a word, become an attribute of historical luxury.
An important role in the decision to acquire a decorative bird cage is the choice of its installation location. Of course, these things look best in the living room or dining room – they create a special chic here. However, some people prefer to decorate a bedroom in this way.
Regardless of which room you decide to install this product in, it is important to determine on which surface it will fit.
So, it’s more practical to put the finished thing on the fireplace, table or window sill.
By the way, in the latter case, it will look most gentle. Especially if you put a white decorative cage with flowers in pastel shades.
The easiest way to make a decorative cage yourself
If you want to make a table or floor decorative cage, you will need some materials and a little patience. When executing the simplest cage, one must not forget about accuracy and laboriousness – nevertheless, you make a decor that should decorate your room, and not disfigure it. Clumsy actions are completely excluded here, and you won’t be able to limit yourself to one flight of fantasy – it is important to cultivate perseverance and diligence.
To make a fairly simple and uncomplicated cell with your own hands, you will need the appropriate tools and materials.
Collect the following items:
- Wooden sticks with pointed tips (skewers for Japanese chicken skewers are ideal here);
- Plain cardboard. It should be interwoven, solid and sufficiently dense – at least two millimeters thick;
- Foam with a density of two centimeters, quite high quality, smooth and not loose;
- Stationery knife for cutting paper and cardboard;
- Scissors (preferably large or medium size);
- Glue (it is best to use regular PVA, but if you have other options – use them);
- The pencil is simple, solid;
- Long ruler (not less than 35-50 cm);
- Acrylic paints (zinc or titanium white; if you want to make your cell colorful, use other shades of pigments);
- Artificial bristled bristle brush (size 4-8).
And of course, one should not forget about decorating the finished product. You may need cuts of guipure fabric, silk, mesh; artificial butterflies, ruffles, shuttlecocks, beads, pearls, feathers, flowers, ribbons and other elements that you like.
Detailed product manufacturing instructions:
- Cut two identical squares from the foam (for example, 10×10 or 20×10). These details will make up the bottom and the roof (more precisely, the ceiling) of your future cage;
- Using a ruler, measure the same distance for the rods (for example, one or two centimeters) around the entire perimeter of the foam square. Mark these values with a pencil – here the simulated lattice will be located. It is desirable to do this manipulation with both one and the second square;
- Please note that it is important to carry out the past action, having previously stepped back from the edge of the foam at least a few millimeters. If you do everything accurately and accurately, your future decoration will turn out to be very beautiful and elegant;
- Cut the chopsticks if they are not purchased in the form in which we would like. Each of them should be exactly 15-20 centimeters long. Also, if the acquired sticks have sharp edges, it is important to grind and sand them;
- Sharpen your sticks with a special sharpener, but if you are not an artist and you don’t have such specific accessories at home, you can very carefully do this with the same stationery knife or blade. This is a mandatory manipulation, so that the sticks are easily and firmly attached to the foam base;
- You will need 24 twigs, so grind and prepare the entire quantity;
- Gently drop a drop of PVA glue onto the marks that were made earlier;
- Stick the rods into the foam at the same marks. In no case do not use “Moment” glue and the like here – in contact with polystyrene, it is able to spoil the product;
- Put a “ceiling” of polystyrene foam on top, also on the marks. Work very carefully and keep in mind that your wooden rods are easy to break or bend. Try to act without unnecessary effort;
- From the bound cardboard, cut out the roof details. Search the Internet for patterns that are most acceptable in style in your case;
- Make the lower parts of the cage simple, straight;
- On the styrofoam, stick the parts butt to butt. On the "roof" you can also stick a stick between the slopes – so the bird house will be even more "cozy";
- Dry the resulting structure thoroughly (at least during the day);
- Take acrylic paints and color the resulting cage. Work not only external, but also internal parts;
- Wait until the paint has completely dried (usually acrylic dries record fast, provided it is diluted with water, but if you dilute the paint with glycerin or a similar dense component, this can take several days);
- If you want a “shabby chic” style cage, you can imitate abrasions on it;
- Decorate the product with flowers, bows, beads and ribbons. There is no longer any restriction on the glue used, and you can use any durable fixative.
Your cell is ready! Now you can put it anywhere in your house and enjoy your own created, unique and unique decor. Since the thing will turn out compact, it can be placed on any surface. But we do not recommend you install it on the floor – it can simply “get lost” in space.
Let creative ideas constantly reside in your thoughts!
Among the new products that can be used in interior design, it stands out with its special charm and interesting appearance. decorative cage Such a product, whether it is metal, wood or paper in general, will enliven the space of a room, will be indispensable for the recreation of vintage, romantic styles, such as Provence or English interior. And, best of all, what’s interesting, wire, wooden skewers, you can do it yourself.
Another advantage of self-made crafts over purchased ones is that you can realize your own design ideas, not repeat with existing interiors, create completely new images. Why can I use decorative cage? Buy or make it – it means to get a beautiful candlestick or lampshade for a lamp, flower pots, gift wrapping or interior decoration.
In addition, such weightless and delicate cells will immediately create the necessary romantic, delicate atmosphere. They are very easy to use for a task, for a birthday or other holidays, they often use such decor at wedding ceremonies and receptions in open spaces. You can add metal structures with fresh flowers, birds made of fabric, or you can hang them on tree branches by putting surprise gifts for guests inside.
Options how to make a decorative cage there are many, everything determines not only the task that you set for the product, but also the material with which it will be easiest for you to work with. For example, paper crafts are quite simple, I have a small weight, which will allow them to be used, for example, for a task. You can put candies and flowers in them for a presentation, and even a child can cope with paper cages. But, of course, wooden, and even more so, metal models look much more presentable. Plus, their size can vary from miniature to huge, almost the entire wall, depending on what kind of future interior composition you see in your imagination.
Consider the method of manufacturing crafts from metal, as the most visually attractive. You will need to start working with the material (and it will be a metal wire), draw a drawing of the future crafts in full size in two projections – side view and bottom. You need the bottom to determine not only the wooden or cardboard bottom itself, to which you will attach the wire walls, but also to determine the circumference for twisted decorative elements that run across the cage.
First, the frame is formed, two circles of the required size are made, they are attached to the pieces of wire that form the arch. You can fix all the elements with each other using a thinner wire or by soldering (if you are not afraid of working with a blowtorch). Decorative elements are made separately: the wire is cut into small pieces, they are bent according to a template, also drawn in full size, and connected together. By applying the resulting tape to the bottom circumference, you can give the element a regular round shape. After all the wires fall into place, you need to form a door if the project requires it, and then cover the entire surface of the frame with paint to hide the joints. The bottom of the resulting cell is also painted or lined with fabric, colored paper. Decorate the crafts will help to decorate the interior, flowers from satin ribbons, small felt birds and so on. As a result, you get a product no worse than designer decorative cages, photo which are, including, in our article.
Decorative cells in the interior
Using decorative cells in the interior may be limited only by the style of the room, but not at all by its functional purpose. Of course, for a laconic modern interior, such a decor would be inappropriate, but for a romantic style it would be correct to put a cage not only in the bedroom or hall, but also in the kitchen, and even in the bathroom.
Examples that show successful placement options for such a decor are posted above. However, all the photographs from our today’s material can be used as a guide for placing such a decor in the interior. Wall and table, hanging on a chain or standing on the floor, it will certainly refresh the room and give it the appropriate mood.
Decorative details stand out and complement the interior. This type of crafts, such as a decorative cage with their own hands, today is gaining great popularity and is in great demand.
Exquisite works carry a light spring atmosphere, comfort and a touch of romance, especially when done with the soul.
We will understand in more detail how to make a decorative cage with your own hands.
Decorative cage from barbecue sticks (MK)
Today, the presented accessory is used not only as cages for birds, but also for decorative candles, vases, compositions of natural or artificial flowers. A master class will help you to make a decorative cage with your own hands.
For work, you need to prepare the following items:
- wooden sticks of small thickness;
- thick cardboard;
- polystyrene foam 2 cm thick (parameters 20×10 cm);
- PVA glue;
- knife, scissors;
- acrylic paints;
- You will also need a pencil, ruler, brush.
After all the necessary materials and tools have been collected, you can begin work by dividing it into the following steps:
1. The first thing you need with a knife cut two identical foam parts , parameters 10×10 cm.
2. Pencil on foam marks are made , so that the sticks on it are at the same distance. We retreat 5 mm from the edge of the foam, the distance between the marks is 1.5 cm.
3. The sticks, which will be the rods of the future design, should be 15 cm in length and sharpened on both sides, in total such sticks need 24 pcs
4. The next step is to carefully drip glue into each mark and insert sticks.
Insert sticks into the foam
5. On bars from above dress the second element polystyrene also on the marks. Everything needs to be done very carefully and slowly so as not to damage the foam or break the stick out of the glued foam.
We attach the upper base
7. Cut glue the details one to one and to foam. On the roof for greater beauty and overlapping the joint, you can stick a stick 11.5 cm long.
Glue the received details
8. After the construction is ready, start painting All parts are painted with acrylic paint inside and out. You can use either one shade or several, depending on the chosen style. After drying, you can make a worn effect.
We color the cage
9. Our creation is almost ready, the final step is decoration For the decor, a floral motif is perfect, which can be made of paper or fabric and decorated with beads, sparkles and other attributes.
Thus, we have obtained a beautiful, and most importantly unique and one of a kind product made by our own hands. This accessory will decorate the house with its elegance and will certainly attract enthusiastic looks.
In the video: do-it-yourself decorative house
Metal house for the bird (MK)
A metal craft looks particularly attractive and rich. Before you make a decorative cage with your own hands, you need to prepare all the materials that will be involved in our work.
Components for work:
- design and sketch of a decorative motif;
- the material will be two types of wire: aluminum – about 22 mm thick, auxiliary – 0.9 mm, for example, nichrome;
- plywood sheet – 0.5 cm;
- also for work you will need a drill, thin-nose pliers and a jigsaw.
1. The first thing you need in duplicate draw a cell , to get the circumference of the base. The resulting length is divided by 4 – as a result, we get the length of the decorative plug-in design. Next, we draw the parameters of the motive and determine the pattern.
2. Made of aluminum wire bend two circles , accordingly, the top and bottom of the cell. Pattern elements are connected by an additional wire.
3. The motif of the pattern is bent around the circumference, so we get the first part of the scenery. Using a similar pattern, we make the second circle.
Today we offer you to make your own original decor in the form of a vintage cage. This craft will give your interior a light spring atmosphere and a touch of Provence. You can also use it as a festive decor. For example, you can decorate your house with a small cell for the bright Easter holiday by placing colored eggs, sweets or cookies in the middle of the cell.
We will prepare all the necessary tools and materials:
- corrugated paper of blue and white color;
- green colored paper;
- pieces of thin wire – 5 pcs.;
- glue gun;
- satin ribbon;
- ladybugs and beads.
How to make a decorative cage
Step 1. Cut a thin strip from a roll of white corrugated paper. We stretch it along the entire length so that the corrugated texture disappears and the paper becomes smooth.
Next, we process all the prepared pieces of wire with it.
We also prepare a short piece to create a hook in the upper part of the cage.
Step 2. On a cardboard we draw a circle, and then carefully cut it out along the contour.
In total, we need two details.
But if the cardboard you use is thicker, then you can get by with one blank. Next, glue two circles together.
We got a dense blank bottom for the cell.
Step 3. Using a ruler, divide the base into eight even parts.
Then, on the received lines, stepping back from the edge of 4-6 mm., We make holes for the wire with sharp scissors.
Step 4. We begin to collect the cell framework from the wire. At the ends of the wire we apply a drop of hot-melt adhesive and fix it in the holes.
We attach all the segments.
Step 5. From a small blank, create a hook and attach it to the top of the craft.
Step 6. Now we start decorating. First, we will make three roses from blue corrugated paper. We cut out such tiny petals.
We give each a natural convex shape.
Then with glue we collect the petals into a bud.
We twist them with a knitting needle so that the roses take on a more realistic look.
And from green paper you need to cut out the leaves, with them we will complement the composition of roses.
Step 7. Glue the buds to the top of the cage.