Nowadays, quail breeding is widespread. This is largely due to the high profitability of the production of quail products, due to the large egg production and precocity of poultry.
They learned to breed quail everywhere. The bird is completely unpretentious. Her breeding does not require much space and certain specific conditions. Therefore, they are kept not only on special farms, but also in cottages, in house sheds and even on balconies. The main point is to properly select and equip a bird cage.
1 Types of quail cages and material for their manufacture
Depending on the region of dilution, different cells are used. They can be:
Closed Quail Cage
The former are used in northern latitudes, in areas with blowing winds. Open cells are widely used in regions with milder climates.
Open cells have distinct advantages:
- lower material costs in the manufacture;
- have good air exchange (clean air is very important for a bird).
The material from which the quail cage can be made is very diverse. Very often they use plywood, wood, plastic, galvanized iron sheets, metal mesh, reinforcement, etc. As a rule, when building a house for these birds, a combination of several materials is used.
Given that it is not difficult to make a cage for quail sucking individually, it is possible to use any material available on the farm. When designing an individual product, attention should be paid to the minimum height and spaciousness of the cell. So the height should be at least 20 cm. The choice of width and depth is determined by the fact that for one individual the necessary living space should be at least 140 cm2.
to menu ↑
1.1 Quail cage made of plywood and plastic
Plywood cages are used by quailbirds to keep small livestock at home. They are small in size and are made independently. The features of such stands are as follows:
- the main material is plywood or fiberboard (wood-fiber board);
- the presence of a frame made of wood or metal;
- mesh bottom;
- sizes vary and depend on the number of birds and their orientation (oviparous or broiler);
- the floor has a slope of 7-10 degrees;
- plywood or fiberboard must be varnished;
- periodic antiseptic treatment is required;
- the feeder is installed in front, drinkers on the sides of the crate.
Plywood and plastic cage
Typically, such cells are convenient for holding up to 30 goals, a maximum of 50.
Plastic cages are also usually made small, with the expectation of comfortable living in them up to 50 birds. In such cages they also contain meat breeds and layers. They are suitable for keeping quails both in a private courtyard and in an apartment. Plastic cells have their own characteristics:
- strength, do not give in to deformation at a large amplitude of temperatures;
- convenient for cleaning and easy to clean;
- the absence of unpleasant odors is caused by the fact that plastic wicks moisture and excretion from the life of birds;
- ease of disinfection;
- smooth surface eliminates the spread of infections;
- convenient when assembling batteries, up to 5 tiers.
If we compare wooden cages and plastic quail cages, then the latter have an advantage, since moisture absorption is characteristic of wood.
to menu ↑
1.2 Quail cage from plastic boxes
It’s easy to build a plastic birdhouse from several crates. This will require a minimum of tools and materials, and 2 to 3 hours of time. We start up the boxes used in the trade in fruits and vegetables with one perimeter size. Their height should be different. Two have 10 cm, one has 30 cm. You will need a wire, a sharpened knife and a hacksaw for metal.
The assembly process will be as follows.
- Cut the upper protruding corners of the boxes with a hacksaw.
- We put a large box on a small one, it will serve as a pallet.
- We put on the big box the second small one. It will be a cover. Boxes must be the same size.
- We fasten the boxes with wire after they are installed one on one.
- We cut holes in the upper part of our cage from three sides.
- Bend along the surviving fourth side.
- We cut out the cells, using a knife, in the front wall of the box. The heads of birds should be freely placed in the holes so that they have the opportunity to reach the feeding trough and drinking bowl.
- On the outside of the box we fix the drinker and feeder.
- Cut the front door. Through it we will carry out replanting and selection of quail. It should bend well.
- We fix the door with wire.
The size of the cage, which can be built from standard boxes, is quite suitable for quails for 20 goals.
This option, definitely, deserves attention because of its simplicity and economy. Livestock living here can be not only temporary, but also permanent. It is possible to assemble even a multi-tiered structure from ordinary plastic boxes with an automatic drinking bowl and trays for litter.
to menu ↑
1.3 Breeding quail in the cells of the grid
For the production of cells, a galvanized metal welded mesh with a small cell is often used. So for the floor, a mesh with a cell of 12 × 12 mm or 25 × 12 mm, 1.4 mm thick is applicable.
A grid of 25 × 25 mm or 50 × 25 mm, 1.6 mm thick, is suitable for walls and a roof. Options in frame and frameless versions are possible. For the frame, a wooden beam, reinforcement, a profile of metal or thick plastic is suitable. If the cell is made without a framework, then a more rigid mesh with a thickness of 2 mm or more is used. The mesh for the cells must be galvanized. The pallet is made according to the size of the cell from a galvanized sheet with a thickness of 0.5-0.7 mm. This will significantly extend their service life and give a more aesthetic appearance.
Collect the cell from the grid in the following sequence.
- Frame preparation. If we use wood, it is better to take a bar 25 × 50 or 30 × 40 mm. If metal, a corner from 25 × 25 mm will go. Sidewalls, calculated by the size of the walls, are fixed to the wooden frame by means of a furniture stapler, they are tied to metal with wire.
- Assembly and installation of the floor with a slope of up to 10 degrees. We take into account the length of the egg collector (about 10 cm), bending the edge of the floor a few centimeters. Make a 3 cm gap between the egg collector and the wall. Eggs will roll here.
- Door installation. It is also made of mesh and secured with canopies and wire. A hand should freely climb through the door.
- Installation of the pallet. We make the pallet out of sheet metal by the method of bending. The pallet is easier to clean by first putting a newspaper on it, which we periodically change;
- We install a feeding trough and a drinking bowl. Any plastic container will suit them well.
1.4 Making a quail cage in 45 minutes (video)
2 Breeding and keeping quails at home
Having very little free space and making your own quail cages, using any of the materials considered, you can successfully engage in quailing at home. By creating favorable conditions for quail and providing high-quality food and water, you can always have diet eggs and meat at hand. Up to 40 birds can comfortably live on an area of 0.5 m2. The bird is capable of producing 290 – 320 eggs per year. Thus, containing 40 quails of a highly eichen breed, one can count on 30 eggs per day.
Somehow, in our cage there lived a manual quail, such a ruffled wild chicken. She loved to hop on her hand and twitter incessantly. It differed from its neighbors not only in sociability, but also in greater fecundity.
Quail cages should be kept in a room that meets the following requirements:
- should be warm and dry;
- without drafts (if it is present, feathers fall out in birds);
- mandatory ventilation at a rate of 5 m3 / hour in summer and 1.5 m3 / hour in winter per 1 kg of live weight;
- natural or artificial lighting.
2.1 Quail Breeds
The most common breeds now are Japanese, English white and black, Manchurian golden, related to egg laying. Males of these breeds have a carcass weight in the range of 125 – 170 g. Females are larger and their mass is 20 – 40 g. The weight of eggs produced by females of these breeds is 8-12 g / pc.
Quail meat and egg breed
Of the meat breeds, the pharaoh breed is popular. It was bred in the United States, and in our region came from Poland. The mass of males reaches 200 g, and females can reach 300 g. Quail of this breed can bring no more than 220 eggs per year, but each weighs up to 16 g.
to menu ↑
2.2 Industrial cultivation and breeding of quail
Cages for quail on quail farms of frame – frame type with mesh partitions. They are cellular batteries having 3.4 or 5 tiers of the storey structure. Technological processes of bird care – feeding, watering, cleaning of litter, are fully mechanized.
Industrial cells are composed of the following elements:
- frame frames welded from a special profile;
- mesh partitions (longitudinal and transverse);
- floors made of galvanized welded wire mesh with a cell 12 × 25 mm 2 mm thick, in layers with a slope of up to 8 degrees;
- bunker-type feeding system, located above the feeders;
- watering system;
- litter cleaning system;
- egg collection system.
The entire front part of the cells is equipped with easily opening doors. The use of the grid as partitions and floor allows free penetration of the required amount of light and air, provides good visual control over the livestock.
The bunker feeding system is located on the side of the quail cell battery and produces feed on both sides of the battery for all tiers at once. The gravity hopper design prevents the feed from hanging.
The feeder ensures the safety of 98% of the feed. Made of galvanized sheet steel with an outer side of 80 mm and an inner 50 mm.
The drinking system includes:
- Square polypropylene watering lines with screwed nipple drinkers (3 pcs per cage). They are located along the longitudinal partitions and exclude the ingress of water into the feeders.
- Inlet Pressure Regulators 0.015 – 0.020 bar are located at the beginning of the drinking line.
- Hanging transparent hoses for draining and venting air are at the end of the lines of drinking.
- Water treatment unit located between the water lines and the water supply network. It consists of pipe wiring, two water purification filters, a water magnetizing element, a flow meter, a mediator and shutoff valves.
Quail Feeder Option
The feeding system consists of the following units:
- drive and tension station with drums moving the tape;
- disposal tapes 890 mm wide, 1.2 mm thick, located under each tier;
- stainless steel scrapers cleaning tape above and below;
- lever – regulator, stabilizing tape position.
Industrial quail cages are equipped with longitudinal action conveyors. They collect eggs in cell batteries and put them on the end tables for collecting and sorting. Manual egg picking is also possible.
The sizes of cages for quail used in farms are selected individually. The requirement for the room in which the cellular structures will be located is taken into account. It also takes into account the breeding of which livestock is planned – laying hens or broilers.
When set up correctly, quail breeding will be a highly profitable business that will bring pleasure. To do this, it is not necessary to be the owner of a quail farm. It is realistic to organize such a mini-business in the courtyard of your own house, in the country, and even on the balcony of your apartment.