When keeping quails in the household, complex structures, reinforced cages or bulky crates are not required.
Cages are made from improvised materials: galvanized wire mesh, wooden blocks, plastic fasteners.
Quail birds are small, do not require a lot of space, therefore, for the calculation of the cells take 10-12 cm2 per head. The floor of the quail cage is made of mesh with a 1225 mm mesh and a wire diameter of at least 0.9 mm to exclude the accumulation of litter and ensure the convenience of keeping the bird.
When growing birds to get eggs, the lower part of the cage is made oblique, enough 8-10 degrees from the horizontal. The front of the floor ends with an egg receiver. To collect litter, the cage is equipped with a pallet, which should be easy to extend.
The pallet may be plastic, made of galvanized iron, stainless steel or other material that withstands the aggressive effects of litter and detergents. Prepare at least two pallets, one of which will be aired after washing.
The smell of droppings is disposed of in a very simple way – use cat or dog filler for toilets. High-volume bags are inexpensive, and pellet consumption is minimal.
The cage includes a drinking bowl, preferably a cup type, and if the cage is designed to contain up to 30 quails, you can get by with an open drinking bowl, which must be periodically cleaned from husks and fodder.
Quail feeders are small bathtubs along the entire length of the cage and installed outside. To prevent spraying and raking of food, a strip of galvanized wire mesh with a cell is placed on top of it, so that the bird can reach the mixed feed fractions with its beak.
Quail should not lack space in the cells, therefore it is important to maintain the recommended sizes shown in table 1.
Table 1 Quail cage sizes
The height of the quail cage for the back wall is 20 cm, and for the front of the structure – 25 cm. For meat breeds of birds, the height is reduced by 5 cm, although this is not important.
Selection of equipment for a home-made quail cage for 10-20 and 30 goals
The most accessible material for the manufacture of cages is wood, but the product will have some drawbacks associated with the need to clean and disinfect the birds.
Therefore, wooden structures must undergo preliminary training: impregnation with solutions that prevent the development of bacteria and coating with water-based varnish.
The tree has high sound-absorbing properties, therefore, the quail population isolated from the rest of the house is more comfortable. Shy birds can stop sweeping from harsh sounds and from excessive attention from the rest of the household.
Wooden quail cages equipped with a mesh floor, under which there is a tray for collecting litter. A surface slope of 8 degrees will be sufficient to roll eggs into the receiver.
For 20-30 heads of quail you will need the following materials:
- Bars 2040 for the manufacture of the frame;
- Metal corners for fastening the bars;
- Galvanized screws;
- Plywood, OSB or lining;
- For a simplified version of a wooden cage, a mesh netting is used;
- Mesh with mesh 1225 mm for the floor;
- Galvanized iron sheet 0.8 mm for the pallet;
- Furniture hinges.
Fig. 1 Wooden cage frame
The depth of the cage for 30 goals is 40 cm, and the width is 90-100 cm
For those who do not want to engage in the manufacture of wooden structures, we can offer a cage option from ordinary plastic boxes that are used to transport fruits, vegetables and other products.
It is required to prepare three plastic boxes of the same size, mounting plastic ties or knitting wire, metal scissors. And in the next section, instructions for the manufacture of cages are prepared, which will help you quickly and costlessly prepare housing for quail.
Making quail cages – step by step instructions
Assembly of a wooden cage:
- We make the frame as in Fig. 1, here we have 3 compartments, each of which can accommodate 20-30 quails;
- The upper and side walls are sewn with the selected material. On the front part, you can use a netting net with a cell sufficient to allow birds to stick their heads to the feeder;
- If the sidewalls are made of solid material, take care to make holes with a diameter of 30 mm for light to enter the cage. 9-10 holes are enough;
- Pre-treat all parts with an antiseptic and varnish water-based;
- Scissors for metal cut a rectangular piece from the grid for the manufacture of the floor and fix it around the perimeter with wooden or metal battens. The front of the floor partially extends beyond the cage into the egg receptacle;
- We bend the edges of the galvanized metal sheet, form a litter tray and set it under the floor along the guides;
- The prepared doors, sewn up with a mesh, are fixed on the structure with furniture hinges.
Making quail cages can be simplified if you need to contain 10 heads of birds. To do this, we will take practical advice and use plastic boxes.
Stages of assembly of the structure:
- We align the boxes in a plane, cutting off excess corners and ledges on the upper part;
- A box with a lower height is installed down, it will become a pallet of the cage;
- Upstairs is also a low drawer that will serve as a lid;
- We fasten the structure with plastic mounting ties or a knitting wire;
- We cut out the cells on the sides of the large box for access of birds to the feeder and drinker;
- Cut one side of the bottom drawer to install the pallet.
If you keep birds in a separate room, then take care of the “bathing” of quail in the sand. Thus, birds get rid of parasites that can wind up in feathers and cause anxiety in quail.
Birds do not like stagnant air. Ventilation, but without creating drafts, allows not only to maintain the health of quail, but also to avoid the appearance of an unpleasant odor. Quail are very sensitive to changing conditions and at sharp temperature changes egg production of individuals may decrease.
VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS CELLS FROM GRID
"alt =" ">
Make the lighting soft, use LED lamps with a warm stream of light, which quail in a limited space really likes.