Each of us knows how important it is to have a cozy and comfortable home. A cage for a parrot is more than an apartment for a person. After all, here the bird not only sleeps and eats, but also spends almost its entire life, so it is so important to choose a suitable cage in size, prepare and equip it with advising accessories.
How to choose a cage for a parrot?
When choosing a convenient cell, the following characteristics should be considered:
- The size. The cage should be a suitable size. For small parrots, such as budgies, the cage is from 60 to 90 cm, for medium-sized parrots such as cockatoos, from 90 to 140 cm, for large parrots, like a macaw, from 180 to 280 cm. In a small cage, the bird will be crowded and uncomfortable. Large cages for parrots are also a guarantee of the health of pets. In a convenient cage, a parrot sitting on a perch, with its tail not touching the floor, can freely spread its wings and fly to another corner of its home. For several pets, a larger cage will be needed.
- Material. Today you can find cells from a variety of materials. We must not forget that parrots gnaw not only poles, but also rods of cages, so you need to choose products made of high-quality steel. Galvanized and copper rods are not suitable. A cell can be eco-friendly – wooden.
- The form. The cage for the parrot should be spacious, but not high. Narrow enclosures are not suitable for birds, although they save space in the apartment. Parrots love to walk, and for walking, too, need a place.
- The distance between the rods depends on the type of parrot. For large – about 2 cm. The head of the parrot should not pass between the rods. They must be horizontal so that the bird can climb the cage.
- Accommodation. The place for the cell to stay permanently should not be very hot or cold, it is still important to exclude drafts and dampness. The floor cage for a parrot with legs has proven itself perfectly. It is easy to move and remove trash under it. There is ventilation below, so the mites do not start.
Round Parrot Cage
Many experts believe that this is absolutely not an option for parrots, because they like to hide in the corners, but in a round or oval house there is no such possibility. The cage for a parakeet, like any large pet, should be large (an aviary cage) if no free range is planned. From small cages, a bird must be released to fly. Females of necklaces and other species of parrots are aggressive during the breeding season, because males need a corner to hide.
Wooden parrot cage
It is the safest and most environmentally friendly material for an aviary or cage. In addition, the wood of some species is very strong, therefore it is well suited for a bird house. Wooden cages for parrots will be expensive, because they are made by hand, but cheap cages for parrots are made of plastic and metal in a factory way, but cheap does not mean the most safe for pets. There are also disadvantages to wood: over time, it becomes unusable from water, temperature changes, and it is also difficult to disinfect material.
How to equip a cage for a parrot?
When arranging a home for a bird, you need to try to create the most comfortable conditions that are close to natural. Before placing a pet in his “apartment”, determine what is needed for the parrot in the cage.
- Perches and ropes. A cage for a parrot must have such elements. It is preferable to use natural materials. Plastic is not suitable for poles, because the legs of the parrot will slide off. All parts of the swing and ropes that a bird can bite off must be carefully monitored.
- Parrot toys. Products can be very different in material: wood and sezal, metal and plastic. Toys rotating, for jumping, musical and so on. Their main purpose: to positively influence the psyche of a feathered pet. Often a pebble and a piece of chalk are put in the cage (the latter is also useful).
- Feeder and drinker. Pure water should always be available to the parrot, so you should choose convenient drinking bowls that the bird can not get out. It is preferable to have two feeders: for dry and wet food.
- Mirror many consider it a necessary element in the cage for a parrot, but this is a myth. Parrots, like people, have different needs and character. Some birds like to look at themselves in the mirror, while others begin to peck at him and see him as an enemy. You need to try to install a mirror, if the bird behaves aggressively, then remove it. It is better to choose a mirror from unbreakable material.
How to sanitize a parrot cell?
After buying the necessary cage and accessories, a logical question arises, how to prepare a new house for the adoption of tenants? The easiest way to process is scalding with boiling water. This treatment helps to kill ticks and other insects. To combat viruses and bacteria use veterinary drugs ("Virkon C", "Ecocide C"). There are drugs that will be toxic to pets ("Butox"), so after using them you need to wash the cage very carefully. Wooden houses and cages are almost impossible to disinfect. Processing is carried out once a month.
Clean your pet daily. It is important to know how to wash a parrot cage:
- Be sure to wash and treat the drinkers and feeders with boiling water, remove the litter and litter from the litter (the litter changes).
- Accessories are washed separately. If the cage for a parrot is small, then you need to wash it more often and thoroughly.
- Once a week, you can treat the cell and litter with a solution of chloramine. A potassium permanganate solution, a decoction of chamomile or wormwood, baking soda or laundry soap are suitable for frequent applications.
Parrot Cage Filler
It’s best to do without any filler for the cage, because the advertised sand (or other small filler) is scattered, and the parrot can be poisoned by eating it. Filler may be needed in several cases:
- Pet disease (then the cage for the budgerigar is equipped with an oilcloth for collecting feces for analysis).
- Nesting period. You will need twigs or hay for litter nests.
- The period of the appearance of the chicks. You can pour sawdust to the bottom.
The bottom of the cage is best equipped with a pallet. It should be made of metal (galvanized, stainless) or good plastic. You can use wooden (from chipboard, for example), but it is difficult to wash and disinfect. Since birds love to splash in the water, it will quickly get wet. It is more convenient to use a retractable tray, so as not to completely disassemble the cage.
Parrot Cage Accessories
The bird market now has a huge number of different devices for parrots. In this variety you need to highlight the truly necessary accessories.
- Bath or pool. Birds love water, so they often carry out water procedures.
- Fruit holder – This is a kind of parrot feeder. The accessory is not essential. You can insert pieces of fruits and vegetables just between the bars of the cage or fasten with a clothespin. The fruit holder allows you not to dirty the pet’s house and holds food more reliably.
- Sandbox or a separate feeder should be for gravel or sand. This is necessary for birds to better digest.
- Toys. Do not forget that not all toys are suitable for the cage. There are many products that are designed for entertainment outside the home of a pet. There are entire playgrounds for feathered friends.
- Nests, hammocks, birdhouses, houses and other. Very cozy places for parrots. Warm houses can warm in the winter in a cold room.
- Ladders, swings, ropes. Necessary items for physical activity.
Parrot cage stand
This is a very convenient device for placing a cell. After all, a bird house can not be placed on a window or table. Stands are wooden, plastic and metal, in the form of tables or hooks (if the cage has a ring for hanging), on wheels and without them. For large cells, it is more convenient to use models with wheels. The cage stand helps fit it into the interior. There are beautiful cages for parrots immediately with coasters.
Parrot Cage Case
Artificial light affects the biological rhythms of humans and animals, therefore it is important to create normal daylight hours for the pet at 10-14 hours. Cape on the cage with a parrot solves this problem. Now they make covers for different houses. In most cases, one or two sides are sewn from a more dense material or double layer to provide maximum protection from light, but even this does not create complete darkness.
Where to put the cage with a parrot?
For convenient placement of the cage, stands are used. With their help, you can choose the best place for your pet: not hot, without drafts, with adequate lighting, without high noise background. In the room where there will be a cage, there should not be smoking people and sharply smelling objects. A window sill is not suitable for a cage, because a parrot can get sick: from overheating or a cold.
The kitchen is replete with smells, vapors, drafts, and therefore there is no place for a bird. It’s best to locate the parrot in a room where he can see people. Put the cage on one side against the wall to create a safety zone if there is no special house. If the cage for a parrot is large, you need to position it so that it is not too high. This is necessary in order to communicate with the pet.
How to make a cage for a parrot?
Stores offer a wide range of houses for feathered pets, but you can make a cozy house at home. Do-it-yourself cage for a parrot is simple, so for its manufacture you will need:
- galvanized wire mesh;
- the basis for the cell (for example, a chipboard sheet)
- pencil and marking tape.
Cell assembly sequence:
- First make the basis. To do this, measure the rectangle or square of the desired size. From the residues, 4 bar-bars are cut out and screwed to the base-pallet.
- Next, the grid is divided into pieces of the right size: four walls and a roof. Prepare one wall or roof, so that it is folding or lifting, or with a small door. The roof can be made straight or semicircular.
- At the base, holes are drilled under the ends of the grid.
- The mesh is inserted into the holes and bent from the bottom. Next, the remaining parts are connected in the same way.
- Fit the roof.
- All edges of the mesh are carefully bent outward so that the pet is not injured.
- A removable tray is installed inside the cage.
- Immediately mounted poles from one wall to another.